1 January 2023

17 November 2022 Constructing a Backdrop to Hide Back Fence

I have a very long run, over 6 metres (20Ft) that runs across my back fence which looked a bit unsightly.

Unsightly Fence

I tried to grow tall plants to fill in the space between the levels with no success. 

After a number of failed attempts to get any plants to grow up behind the upper deck of the railway to cover the fence, I next tried to use some plastic foliage tiles to fill the back area in, but they did not stand up to the harsh Australian sunlight over the hot weather season and fell to bits and it also did not look realistic.

 

Plastic Foliage Tiles

I finally decided to put in a painted backdrop to partially hide the fence and give something to view the trains on the upper deck against.

 To construct it I used 2.4M x 600mm x 4.5mm Fibre Cement Sheeting used by builders to fill in under house eaves.

Sheeting


I placed it along the fence and marked it using a string line to a height that was level with the top rail.

 

One panel showing top rail

Sheeting in place for marking height

I tapered the sheet at one end to blend it into a cutting at the end of a bridge.  The other end will be blended in next to the high trestle bridge.

Tapered end

Trestle bridge end

I painted the sheeting pale blue using cheap Matt exterior house acrylic paint tinted with artist's acrylic paints bought from a $2 shop as a base onto which I will paint some mountains and hills to try to give a bit of depth to the whole scene similar to what I did on my HO layout.

HO Backdrop-Background 

Some of the paints used for tinting


 

No comments: