18 May 2020

2. Stage 2-May 2020 Inside the Loop Landscaping started

With Coleus Corner now finished I have begun landscaping the inside of the loop, I am laying pathways, building a seating area complete with firepit for colder months and garden beds (using wood chip mulch and shrubs) so that the need to mow can be eliminated in the area.

I laid the border of the garden beds running about 700mm inside the garden edges that I built under the elevated roadbed. 
This border and the garden edges form the sides of a pathway that will allow me to follow trains around the loops with out having to push through gardens.
The space between will be filled with Decomposed Granite (which is sold at landscape suppliers as 'Deco') to form the pathways.





I constructed a ring of retaining wall blocks and filled the centre with gravel, I then 
added a firepit to sit on top of it
 Around the ring I dug out an outer ring 1.5 Metres wide between the retaining wall block ring, and an outer ring to be edged with concrete pavers. This will be filled with same 'Deco' as the pathways to provide a space for seating. 
The seating area will give me somewhere to sit and watch trains just running around the loops while relaxing.

Firepit and surround

Firepit with seating area dug out
To gain access to the inside of the loop I am building a lift up bridge (more detail in another post), which will be at the head of a path that leads to the sitting/firepit area off which will run the pathways that follow the layout.

Lift up Bridge opening with future Firepit path
The Lattice fence will be extended across the yard from the other side of the opening to enclose the inside loop, more on that in another post.

Back to Construction Logs

No comments: